close-circle
Close

Build Log v0.02 - Let there be light!

A project log for Troph.io

Upcycled sports trophy given all new life!

Mikhail Thomas 5 days ago0 Comments
"In the beginning God created the heaven and the earth. And the earth was without form, and void; and darkness was upon the face of the deep. And the Spirit of God moved upon the face of the waters. And God said, Let there be light: and there was light." - Book of Genesis

Outline:

---------- more ----------

Log:


Starting out I knew I needed to figure out how I would setup the lighting and top of the chalice. I had originally planned to cast the top of this setup with resin. The issue was: I didn't want to risk wasting the dice (due to lack of experience with resin) and the cost of resin. I ended up having a talk about the project with a lady that was working at my local board game shop where I was sourcing my dice. She brought up a great idea, use a milkshake/smoothie lid as a base. This not only saves me from having to use resin but it also buffers out some of the space (less dice, which sourcing has become a little more spendy than desired). I made a few stops to local fast food chains and 7/11 stores to get a variety of these lids.


Once getting a rough base in order I tested the fit of the dice on their new mount. I knew I wanted to eventually using an adafruit neopixel ring, but I had to make sure the dice would shine through and give me the desired look, I did this using a small wiring up of a single LED under the dice.

Next we get to painting. I picked up a spray glitter for my aimed gold color and a black hammered spray paint for the bases. After realizing the gold glitter spray was simply gold glitter in a clear base instead of gold paint I had to add a base coat of white paint I already had (in retrospect, I wish I would have done a darker color to better show off the gold. Painting the bases with the hammered black ended up working exactly as I expected and now I'm waiting for everything to dry.



Discussions