The Adafruit Feather 32u4 FONA - our take on an 'all-in-one' Arduino-compatible + audio/sms/data capable cellular board with built in USB and battery charging. For a complete list of device features and specs, check out the Feather product page.
In the following tutorial, Ubidots will demonstrate how to setup and program the Adafruit Feather 32u4 FONA using the Arduino IDE to display data in your Ubidots account.
3. Open Boards Manager from Tools -> Board -> Boards Manager and install the Adafruit AVR Boards. To simply find the correct device, select contributed from the type option and search Adafruit AVR Boards within the search bar. Next, select the most recent version and press install:
4. Close and reboot the Arduino IDE it to ensure that all the boards are properly installed.
5. Plug the Feather board into your computer and select the Adafruit Feather 32u4 from dropdown menus beginning with Tools > Board.
6. To ensure the right functionality of the Arduino IDE setup with the Adafruit Feather boards, upload the Blink example provided from Files > Examples > Basic > Blink. Once the board is properly setup, please continue with this guide.
NOTE: If you have any issues uploading the sample sketch into the board, this guide will help you boot the board manually. Also, if you are working Ubuntu or Linux, please visit this guide for additional troubleshooting resources.
7. Go to the Adafruit library repository to download the Adafruit FONA library. To download this library, click the green button called "Clone or download" and select "Download ZIP".
8. Now back in the Arduino IDE, click on Sketch -> Include Library -> Add .ZIP Library and select the .ZIP file of Adafruit_FONA-master.zip and then “Accept” or “Choose”. Once the library is successfully included you will receive the message "Library added to your libraries".
1. Battery + USB Power: Whereas other Feathers boards can run direct from 3.3V USB or battery, the Feather FONA manages the battery and USB power differently. With this board you must have a Lipoly/Lilon battery plugged in at all times. For more specific technical information see check out this help section.
2. Insert a micro SIM, attach a GSM antenna, and connect battery and micro USB.