Given the design considerations above (in the description) a few ancilliary design restrictions can be required:
- Utilize as many off the shelf components as possible. This will have a number of consequences, including minimizing the design of original components.
- Utilize open source designs for as many of the components that required design. As above, this will minimize design time for components that required design and fabrication.
- Consider the tools available to the average hobbyist and design for those fabrication capabilities.
Specific Design Requirements (these are necessary for completion)
- Must completely fit within a W24" x L30" x H30"
- Must have 5 axes; 3 linear (x, y, and z), and 2 rotational (a and b)
- Must be able to effectively mill hardened steel, Inconel, Monel, etc.
- Must use as many off-the-shelf parts as possible.
- Must utilize as many open-source efforts as possible.
- Other requirements pending Collaboratorium 2.
Specific Design Goals (these are icing on the cake)
- May interface with PLCs.
- May allow for auto tool changing.
- May run via network/wireless.
- May have touchpad/other interface on the machine.
- May have auto material placement and removal.
- May detect mill-bit sharpness.
- May have tool magazine.
- May have general parts library (based on OpenSCAD or similar parametric design tool).
- Others? Input is welcome.