So, my garage door opener stinks. The range is horrible. The battery always seems low. It can't tell me if the door is open or closed. It's not smart! I am, however, should be smart enough to replace it with a uber garage door opener/closer device.
Let's build a garage door controller that can make intelligent decisions. And actually open the door when I want it to.
With an Arduino and openHAB, we can build a system that will allow for monitoring and control of the door from a webpage or mobile device. The main elements look like this:
The Arduino Yun is used to:
- Monitor status of switch to show if garage door is open or closed
- Activate a relay to effectively push the garage door button
- Monitor temperature sensor
openHab is used to:
- send/receive messages from the yun
- send/receive messages from user via network
- Process rules
- maintain trending data for display