I needed something to mount an inexpensive mic arm into the top of my monitor arm, so rather than trying to find just the right kind of shim to do the job, I 3D printed a thing to do it!
I have a reasonably nice USB condenser microphone, which I use for podcasting and also general internet calling and gaming comms. I've got it mounted on an inexpensive "radio studio" style mic arm. However, my desk is rather cluttered, and having the arm go across my workspace is quite disruptive - so, instead of having an exploding budget and getting a Yellotec m!ka Monitor Arm and Mic arm system to mount both my monitor and microphone, I bodged up a little something to connect the two together with a very minimal budget.
I also have a cheap monitor arm, which I have got mounted to my desk. The pole is just a 28mm diameter hollow pole with a plug in the end. I thought, why not remove said plug and attach the mic arm into that? I prototyped the solution by wrapping the end of the mic arm in quite a lot of card, and the solution worked pretty well!
So I threw together something in Fusion 360 which would go into the monitor pole, and hold the mic arm:
And then I went via 3D Hubs to get someone to print it for me, as I didn’t have any filament to hand myself, and wanted to try it in ABS.
Unfortunately, I hadn’t taken into account the shrinkage, and the fit on the mic arm was much too tight (even after drilling it out, it was very much press fit), and the fit on the monitor pole was very loose.
So I redesigned it, and removed a fair amount of material to make it a bit more thrifty to produce, whilst hopefully retaining it’s structural abilities! The lip over the edge should also help gently grip the pole to make sure only one part moved when I want to move the arm around.
I will be printing this in PLA on the South London Makerspace Ultimaker 2 when I get the time