Some time has passed since my last log but it doesn't mean that nothing was done. Today I finally managed to release 0.4.0 version. Changes are not groundbreaking but it's an important step to make this watch useful and customizable.
I've spend most of the time on putting a good filesystem that will work with this very limited amount of RAM. Only 6kB of processor RAM are available for the app, that's twice the size of the screen buffer. There are still some things to do on the app size to be able to synchronize multiple files but it's now quite easy to do and should be available in few weeks. We have 512kB of flash storage and it should be enough for this.
Second big point was making it stable. Both the BLE connection and watch firmware itself. I've tested it for few days and never had situation when watch was not connected to the phone. Also random freeze or screen shifted by 8 pixels should not happen.
Third most important part for me was to add possibility to attach images, number fonts and enumerated images. So your watch will look like you want. For example now you can draw different images based on current day of week. That's also a good base for some weather forecast plugin.
Also some minor things were added:
- current day of week and day of year
- support for 12h clock
- external plugin text parameters may be now longer so current song name, artist etc can be displayed in multiple lines
- plugin installation/update/reinstallation will not require OSSW app restart, it will reconnect to new/modified plugin.
- OSSW app after next upgrade will automatically reconnect to last connected watch, so automatic update will not break connection.
- There's notification with current progress of watchset upload (watchsets may be big now so it can take some time)
- Update in musicplayer plugin that allows to control music volume
Thanks to these changes next release should be much faster than this one. I've published some new watchsets to show new features, all files can be found HERE
It would be great if I could make a web based GUI that will allow to build watchsets by drag and drop. Unfortunately for now, to be able to attach images you have to use some basic tool available HERE. Look's like it works only in Chrome for now, will try to fix that in next few days.
How to update:
To update firmware use nRF Toolbox, HERE you can find ossw-firmware-s120-0.4.0.zip
You don't have to go to bootloader mode or something. Just update from nRF Toolbox:
DFU -> SELECT FILE -> Distribution packet (ZIP) -> ossw-firmware-s120-0.4.0.zip, select device and click UPLOAD