'Aleph' is first letter belonging to the oldest verified alphabet, the Phoenician alphabet. The Phoenician Alphabet replaced the symbols and drawings with a dynamic and easily manipulated letters. Exactly like that, Aleph aims to replace the static paper receipts with a digital dynamic copy that can be easily converted or manipulated.
- Everyone gets hundreds of paper receipts monthly. These papers have a chemical coating making them impossible to recycle. They all end up in our garbage bins, making tons upon tons of un-treatable garbage globally.
- The coating chemicals are not environmentally friendly, and some studies showed that they are not even healthy for the human body. Don't take my words for it just Google BPA Thermal Papers.
- In general, paper production is bad for the environment. No matter how harsh the laws are to protect the forest areas, there will always be people bypassing and stretching the laws. Less paper production will hopefully account to less wood generation, which in turn will help in saving green areas.
- Paper receipts are very hard to manipulate and edit. If the consumer needs to generate a report, he will have to go through the process of scanning all the receipts. Even after scanning the result is just a still image that is not possible to use for automated reports or calculation software.
On the hardware level Aleph is a small electronic device that will show up as a printer when plugged to the PC. The key concept is to send a printing command to Aleph and it will be able to generate a digital receipt and transfer it to the user using NFC.
The basic operation model is that the store owner (Restaurant - Supermarket - ATM ...) will replace (or use them together) the traditional Thermal Receipt Printer with Aleph Device. When checking out, the customer can then just tap his phone and his receipt will be transferred to the phone directly. On the phone the Aleph App (or 3rd party app) can get the data and offer some automated calculations and reports.
In addition Aleph will upload a PDF copy of the receipt to our secured server. At a later time the customer can download the copy using the mobile application.What differentiates Aleph from other solutions that tried to solve this problem is the ease of integration. Aleph does not require any additional software to work with existing POS or ATM. The same process that is required to install a paper printer will be used to integrate Aleph with the system
- Plug the device to the PC using either USB, LAN or WiFi.
- Install the printer driver on the PC
- Print to Aleph from any software
The benefits are numeral for both the consumer and the store owner. Below is a short list but this does not mean that this is the end of it. As the work progresses, the list will be expanded.
- Digital editable copy of all the receipt, text based
- Sort, Search and Share any receipt
- Detailed real-time expense management
- Generate reports based on time
- No more extra vouchers and coupons
- Optional cloud backup and online editing and more available reports
Store Owner Benefits:
- Analytics based on anonymous consumer information
- Push notifications for consumers that opt-in for it
- Loyalty programs based on consumer trends
- Voucher and discounts over the air
- Added value service
- Cost reduction for paper, ink and maintenance
- Significantly reduce paper waste globally
- Reduce deforestation caused by paper production
- Reduce air pollution due to use of coating chemicals
- Reduce health risks based on the contacts with thermal receipts
The Ultimate Goal:
The ultimate goal for this project would be to have Aleph integrated inside 'Tap to pay' devices. Like this, when checking out in the store, the consumer can tap to pay and then tap again to receive the digital receipt.