• Whooa! it's actually done!

    Øystein01/02/2019 at 13:05 0 comments

    in my exemplary bad updating schedule i am here to report the the table is finished. Like almost a month a go. That's a long time. I waited a long time to be able to finnish this project. mainly because when i designed my table legs i use a lumber cut in a special dimension and type (soem sibirian larch). so i had to special order it. Cheap(not really). Here are some pictures.

    Was interesting CAM(computer aided manufacturing)work for this lumber as I havent work with lumber in the cnc machione before this project.

    as you can clearly see here it is designed to be assembled and dissassembled without any tools. that said the tabletop is at least 40kg and 2,2 meter long. so it is a two man operation.

    test assembly completed.

    The table in it's natural habitat. It works really well so far, the sounds system is connected and put on the top shelf and the integrated light work nicely . since everything is automated with home assistant and the light strip is rgb i plan making and automation so that when the movie is paused the lightstrip is turned. I also plan for to light up red so it is more comforting for your eyes.

  • Huuge update

    Øystein08/06/2018 at 21:07 0 comments

    Hear ye! Hear ye! Breaking news! This just in: The Phillips hue lights rip plus has been aquired!

    Ok, enough of the sensationalist talk. This will be integrated in to the tabletop as mentioned in the last project log. The lightstrip itself will be covered by frosted plexiglass. I hope this will be a usefully addon to the table.

  • Procrastination is my middle name

    Øystein08/05/2018 at 21:14 0 comments

    Finally I have started the actual fabrication of this table. This has taken forever to start. The three  layers of the table top has now been machined. it consists of two layers of valcromat hdf and one layer of birch plywood.

    As you can see it needs sanding and a clean up in the edges.

    the Birch plywood did not like my 1/2 inch 3-flute upcut milling bit as it splintered quiet a lot on the top edges. This was "solved" with some sanding. It doesn't really matter as this layer is the middle one.

    The last Layer is the most interesting one. It has cutouts for a Phillips hue lightstrip. This is a similar solution to the one I made for my other project the workbench . This will enable me to more easily see what buttons I am pushing when operating the equipment in the shelves below the tabletop. All the others light in the apartment is Phillips hue lights as well so that is nice. Can't wait to continue working on this project!