So right at the time when everything needs to work. everything goes wrong.
- The one and only wind gauge self destructed as I was attempting to wire it up. This is especially frustrating!
Where I live, I cant just hop in the car and buy another part like that, Jaycar are 45 minutes away and don't carry those specialised parts, and I would not have time to even try and reverse engineer their weather stations, nor pay the money. Nearest arrival time would be Tuesday if I stumped up for express post. So that means going into the semi final submission we will be having to simulate wind. I'll probably just feed in data from the BOM past data. Its also annoying because I spent a day making an i2c slave using a ATtiny85 to be the interface to the wind gauge so the node can stay asleep instead of pulse counting.
- I also purchased metal boxes that were too small and didn't get enough of various adaptors for SMA to BNC for antenna feeds. So ended up repurposing enclosures, so the whole thing looks dodgey again.
- While attempting to tidy up the circuitry I damaged the ESP-201 module that was to be used with the deployment, and couldn't get the spare flashed. (Luckily, it turned out because I wired a jumper wrong.) So I spent Saturday getting the TeensyLC version finished off instead and had that working perfectly by 1am, along with mounting the Carambola2 base station.
- But during the night the TeensyLC stopped. And hasn't flashed its LED since. So I now have a dead teensy. I'll need to contact the Hackaday store for advice on that one. So I had to go to the ESP-201 spare instead which I did get working.
- Except the ESP now ran out of room in its flash as I added final touches, so spend more hours debugging and tweaking things to fit.
- The ESP-201 after running flawlessly for months is now experiencing hangs requiring a push button reset after coming out of deep sleep. The main suspect is the humidity sensor which had only been integrated yesterday. But I am now stuck with it, humidity is one of the three critical ingredients of the Grass Fire Danger index.
In spite of all the above, last thing I wanted was to give up this close to the end so keep pushing through, and we have a working system at the moment, used to produce the "operating" video.
So we have a 1km shot logging weather data out in the paddock. In the photo below, the trees on the horizon is "the other end". Just try not to look at all the cable ties...
After switching power from the laptop to the solar charger, it was a nervous 10 minute drive back to the house to check the logs. I could see activity on the serial LED but had no idea if the sensor had crashed or not...
And behold, we had a live feed!
Thus, all the ingredients needed to calculate Grass Fire Danger Index - pending wind, after perusing online electronics retailers next week - plus additional information pertaining to cropping, including daylight progression and solar UV.