Using a low cost braille printer using the open source project
We followed the instructions that were provided in the Instructable OpenBraille project and fixed the different components.
The required parts were drilled into the wooden frame and other components were fit as well to make the entire structure.
Since the 3D printed components were not precise and their supports were protruding out, we had to file them the extra part to make them precise.
We made modifications in the wheel that is attached to the pin head encoder. The 3d printed wheel had some gap between them due to which there were levelling issues. Due to this problem the wheel had stability issues and was toppling.
We attached some padding (Double Sided Tape)
on both the surfaces of the wheel in order to give it some stability.
We fabricated the pin head encoder of the braille printer. The part was 3-d printed and also the nails were made according to the design provided in the Instructable project guideline
We laser printed the body of Open braille using a 10mm wooden plywood. We made the design on Autodesk Fusion 360 using the dimension provided in the Instructable project.
OpenBraille uses widely available parts on the market. Most of the components are originally used for 3D printers. The brain of the embosser is an arduino mega with a RAMPS board. The following parts are needed for the build:
Arduino Mega 2560
Lead Screw Rods
All the parts can be 3D printed. Follow the link and get the files:
We used a 10mm Medium Density Fiber Board(MDF) for the frame. It was laser printed according to the dimensions provided in the picture attached.