Last night was hard work all the way, we worked long hours to finish soldering and mounting the circuit on the board. We also finished the fabrication of the battery holder.
We also attached the sensors to the circuit board.
And 3D printed the Battery holder. (Files available for download)
We hadn't succeeded to complete the circuitry throughout the day so we had been researching and trying again and again.
We asked for help everywhere.
We discussed quite a lot of things and went over many principles. And finally, we made a plan !
Going through the decided plan was much easier and then we had a working circuit ! Here is a video explaining it.
To continue on the path that we left yesterday, that is to improve the form-fitting of the prosthetic. After lunch we started working on this problem.
We started by brainstorming some ideas for how to fix the problem.
The use of straps was concluded from the discussion. We interviewed the end user on where the straps should be attached.
We also had to refine and add to the existing prototype to implement the straps more efficiently.
Then we finally had the straps attached to both the prototypes as required.
This Tuesday morning we had to start with the electronics required for the functioning of the Prosthetic hand. We started by looking at existing components.
We started to make the circuitry as per the scheme A and scheme B documents. Every component was in working condition, so we started by making the smartphone charging function and it worked.
Although this was successful, we could not get the function of the circuit to be able to charge the batteries due to a voltage difference of the input (5 V) and the battery (3.7 V).
So currently we are still trying to figure out a solution to this problem via research and discussions.
After the successful first prototype for Nico, we started with our second prototype for Mahendera. This was a slightly different challenge as this time the length of the rib was slightly less than that of Nico. So we had to approach this one differently.
1. We started by trying to acknowledge and observe the problem in hand.
2. We had a brainstorming session to consider various ideas.
3. Instead of wasting any further time, we then decided to try out the basic method first. So we started with measurements.
4. Then we went through the cutting, heating and moulding the thermoplastic as with the first prototype.
5. Even though the socket was form fitted but still the initial problem existed. So we had to add some supports.
6. The second prototype was not as successful as the first one, though it leaves us with insights on solving this problem tomorrow.
So for today, goodnight!
With the Ideation process done, we moved on to prototyping. The Thermoplastic Sheet was to be used to form the socket and join it to the already 3d Printed Wrist.
1. We started the process by taking the measurements.
2. With the dimensions in hand the first template was in progress.
3. After a hearty lunch, we started heating the thermoplastic.
4. Then we had to quickly shape the mould until it was malleable.
5. We attached the Socket to the already 3D printed wrist.
6. And finally we had the first prototype in hand.
We start the process for designing a socket for a prosthetic arm by realising ideas on paper, these are some of the initial ideas that we took forward to prototyping. The step of defining the process of execution for the prototype is also something that we've started to do. Expect to see prototypes soon.
Measure the circumference of the arm at two points between which the prosthetic arm socket has to be attached.
Mark and then cut the Thermoplastic material as per the earlier measured dimensions.
Use a heat gun to heat the sized Thermoplastic material until it is malleable enough to apply.