05/01/2014 at 18:07 •
The final shield has been assembled and besides a couple of little niggles, I'm absolutely delighted!
The first error is of my own creation - when creating the part footprint for the matrix itself, I got the dimensions slightly wrong... the rows of pins are spaced 4 MILLIMETRES too far apart!! My heart sank when I found this, but bending the pins on the matrix has solved this issue, although it is a bodge.
The second thing I noticed is the size of the cutouts for the barrel jack and USB port on the Arduino - they don't seem to be deep enough, so the shield still partially sits on them. The shield easily plugs in still, and I suppose the cutouts could just be there so you know not to place components there and have them short out on the USB jack.
Anyways, here it is!
04/28/2014 at 19:54 •
I've received the shield PCBs, and they look absolutely amazing! Big shout out to OSHPark for these. Smooth process and while the shipping takes a long time, the quality definitely redeems this.
Waiting for the remaining headers etc. now, so I should have them assembled by Wednesday.
04/05/2014 at 21:10 •
Since all the wiring is now complete, I have designed and sent off for fabrication the PCB for the shield. I am using OSHPark for the PCBs, and the design is going to be added to the 6th April panel. Hopefully I'll have it in a couple of weeks, but this may be being optimistic!
The design was made in the free version of EAGLE.
04/04/2014 at 20:14 •
I've now added the ability to utilise both the red and green LEDs at the same time, without rewiring as was required previously.
An example patter can be seen here: https://vine.co/v/MeHrzungLTP