• Finishing Up

    Shawn Gorman02/19/2018 at 01:33 0 comments

    Here is the second ( and final) version of the printed insert. I fixed the capping of the end, and adjusted the 1 mm gap.

    Here I checked the fit in the knob. very nice fit.

    Testing the fit on the shaft of the switch. It fit well, though It is loose enough that it can be removed without too much force. I allowed for 0.2 mm of clearance from the actual measurement of the shaft, but I probably could have gone with 0.15 mm.

    Final placement after gluing the insert into place. I used some UV curing resin to tack it into place quickly, followed by superglue. I probably could get away with just the super glue, but I had the resin on hand.

  • Checking the Printed Inset

    Shawn Gorman02/19/2018 at 01:22 0 comments

    Test fitting the print into the knob.  It was a tight fit. I sanded the edges a bit to get it to fit snugly, but there was a problem with the measurements that caused it to be off.

    Here you can see there is a 1 mm gap on the flat side of the insert.

  • Modeling and Test Printing

    Shawn Gorman02/19/2018 at 00:32 0 comments

    Here is version 1 of the knob insert in Sketchup.

    Here is the first printing. I'd like to say I intended to leave the top open for fitting, which was helpful, but I made a mistake on the model.

  • First 3d Printing Tests

    Shawn Gorman02/19/2018 at 00:29 0 comments

    Here is the first 3d printed test piece for fitting. It fit well.

    Here is the test piece fitted in the knob.

  • Prepping the Knob

    Shawn Gorman02/19/2018 at 00:07 0 comments

    Here I have removed the broken parts.

    Here the broken out part has been cleaned up with a rotary tool.

    This is a cardstock template I made to determine the correct shape and fit of the part.

  • Broken Knob

    Shawn Gorman02/19/2018 at 00:04 0 comments

    Here is the broken AC knob.