Our plan is to create an easily extensible project so that we, or others, can refine and further extend R2 in the future.
To this end our initial design was to create a multipurpose hardware platform for configurable information reporting, with a view to basic human interaction in the future.
First we came up with a list of features we wanted to implement, discussed various feasibility issues then settled on a list of components that would make it into the first iteration of R2.
Below is a list of features that will make up R2 version one.
Hardware will include:
- A basic platform utilising open hardware, that will receive input via com port care of usb FTDI.
- A homemade open hardware hackaday-worthy POV scan-line laser projector, capable of displaying symbols and small amounts of text.
- RGB LED lamp, configurable on colour and flashing pattern.
- Modulated Piezo speaker for a collection of preprogrammed chirps and whistles.
- If time permits a servo driver to allow R2 to dance and jiggle its legs about.
Software implementation will include the following components:
- A PC based management application that will configure and stream what events R2 will alert you to.
- An initial plugin based frame work to allow adding any sort of alert desired.
- The serial protocol completed with which communicate alerts to R2
- Basic initial UI with allowances for a few preprogrammed beeps and whistles, a collection of preprogrammed projection images, and a collection of preprogrammed light patterns.
- A couple of alert plugins, probably for facebook, twitter, and/or email.
This week Kensbey will tackle some initial hardware tests, whilst Cognismith will complete design stage for each software component, and create some test framework for serial com and the plugin system.
The initial specs are mostly a product a tight time frame, and far from what we want to see as a complete R2Desk2.
Although we can't add all of our ideas to the initial build, we will be
designing R2 to be as modular and upgradeable as possible.
It also goes without saying, we will completely open sourcing our hardware and software, so that other hackers will be able create and improve on R2.
Below is a list of additional functionality we want to give R2 after the completion of the Iteration 1.
- A large variety of reporting plugins such as facebook alerts, twitter retweets, instagram, pintrest, hackaday.io, your network connected toaster, software build completion, github requests, etc)
- Full audio output for beeping, whistling, and pleading from annoying intergalactic princesses (possible text to speech implementations?)
- completely user configurable alerts, allowing any combination of projected image, whistly beeps, and flashing lights, along with editors to create images, melodies and flash patterns.
- Code ported to be more cross platform friendly (possibly web based management, possibly mono'ed?)
- ethernet/wifi based module for untethered usage
- motion sensors and camera
- various additional signal lamps
- ability for R2 to move around, possibly follow you, dance, and spin his dome about