This project has been growing so fast it is hard to post about all the parts. One of my customers asked if I could do a smaller size track and I got another size of pins made and a new mold. I did a few things differently on this mold as I have learned a lot over the past year of working on this project. I am trying to step up my injection mold design to get closer to how a commercial mold would be made.
I now have a runner which allows me to fill two cavities through a single hole. I would like to get to the point where I am filling the whole mold from a single inlet. But I was not sure how that would work. So I compromised and did only two parts per inlet. This way if it failed, I could always drill more inlets. I also reduced the size of the air vent. Now the vents are much smaller than the inlet which should help in the situation where one cavity fills before the other. Air can escape much easier than the resin so if one cavity fills first, the other should fill easier and equal out.
All in all, this experiment worked perfectly and now I can offer a second size product. Below are some photos. You can see some aluminum powder in the parts because this was the first time the mold was shot.