While we started off with the Intel Edison as the controller for the computer, some flaws or deficiencies soon became apparent:
- It was rather big and clumsy
- It drew a lot of power
- It was a hassle to program, and the IDE (Intel XDK) was extremely slow
We decided to switch to an Arduino Uno for the next iteration, to address these problems as well as to make the project available to a greater number of people already familiar with the platform. As a long time Arduino user myself, this also greatly sped up the development process, even though it initially meant rewriting everything from scratch.
The sensor setup will stay the same for now, as the Grove base module is actually *designed for* the Arduino. Later on we shall develop a custom PCB to house all sensors and displays, to reduce the cost and keep the number of wires to a minimum.
This is a view of the second iteration, still made out of cardboard, but much more compact and neat.
Top: Individual LEDs (left), LED bar graph (right)
Right: GPS module and antenna
Bottom: Accelerometer module (screw-mounted), USB port
Center: Arduino (bottom), Grove base module (top), red electrical tape (everywhere)