The goal of the project is to build an open source design of a community thought walking stick for the seniors ( elderly ) .
The current goals are:
- Should have a bare minimum 1 axis accelerometer to detect fall in case of any accident and an algorithm to filter out possibilities and trigger an alarm.
- Should have a capacitive sensor to detect whether someone is holding it or not.
- A rechargeable but featherweight battery charged by any 5V Micro USB Phone charger. A 1000mAh LiIon would work fine based on current calculations.
- Cross compatible microcontroller code so, people would not have issues and give up on saying, "Its MSP430/PIC/ARM, I know/have/like only Arduino". The aim is to release code that is wiring based and will work on Arduino based forks for other MCUs too.
- Super Cheap
- Using democratic parts, nothing proprietary !
- Should have a 0.5W LED as flashlight.
- Should have a mild horn/Buzzer to trigger an alarm or ask people to shoo away ( oh! I wish i could use VW's horn )
- Can have a USB Charging just in case somebody needs juice for the phone [Can make it heavy due to bumped up battery requirements]
- May have an RGB LED to give it some bling!
- May have BT Connectivity to trigger calls/Texts in case an SOS is triggered
- May have a ultrasonic sensor for obstacles [Can make the whole thing fragile. If anyone knows how to use those car sensors in sticks?]