The science museum is now open! We didn't get even close to 60 elements. We never had the budget to do the full thing anyway. But we did manage to finish 16 of them, and I threw together another column of elements with photos and descriptions of the process, and another element that asks for donations and help. So with those 6 cells, 16 finished ones, and a whole bunch of empty elements, the project is at least museum-presentable, and the visitors understand what else is coming.
The cap sense is still a big issue. I decided to go with too easy to start rather than too hard, so there are times when the elements will just start moving on their own.
Here's video of it working!