What is an HSM :
- Hardware Security Module (HSM) : Physical computing device that safeguards and manages digital keys for strong authentication. In our case it comes as a USB dongle.
Why making it :
- Today, we are at a critical point :
- Advance in technology allows us to develop secure device using low cost hardware (ARM TrustZone)
- Companies are opening access to these technologies.
- You are asked to identify yourself using a password for nearly everything. Do you remember them all ? do you change them often enough ? Are they good enough ?
- Hackers become more dangerous everyday through fishing attacks, viruses and malwares stealing your identity and your money.
You are human. You deserves security, safety and an easy life. Keeping control on your life should be a given like the ability to trust people.
You trust the state and your bank. You are sure at least that they will not let somebody else use your identity.
You are right.
It is their worst fear. And they developed standards and procedures to make sure it won't happen (or at least they are not responsible). Those standards are open.
As a human you can make mistakes, forget things and be fooled. So why being involved in complex procedures on websites. Use a device you trust because you made it so and let it deals with in your daily life.
What it is :
- a USB dongle running an ARM processor with TrustZone.
- A cryptographic device where every communication and storage is encrypted.
- A device that is able to communicate with ID card,credit cards and certification authorities.
- An application platform that give you the functionality you need.
What can you use it for :
- Store your login/password
- Authentication token
- VPN hardware device
- Secure storage