Two weekends ago I prototyped a test rig of my tube ESP (electrostatic precipitator) device. I first cut three of the 10ft length galvanized metal downspouts in to 2ft sections.
To create a support structure for the wire that would run through the center of the pipes, I cut a 3" section of PVC pipe and zip tied it to the end of the metal pipe section.
Then, using a shishkabob stick, I ran it through the PVC pipe and wrapped the wire around the stick so it can be tightened by spinning the stick, tightened much like a guitar string.
On the other end I used a zip tie to suspend the wire in the center of the pipe.
I did this 15 times and ended up with a bunch of pipe assemblies.
To test the 2ft sections of pipes, I took two Styrofoam coolers I found in the dumpster and drilled holes in them. Since this was only a test, I spaced the holes far apart so an ESP can be assembled easily. In the actual version I would placed the pipes as close together as possible.
I inserted all of the assembled pipes into the holes.
I then wired all of the pipes together
I then drilled a hole in the bottom cooler so my fog machine can shoot into it.
Here is a video of an early test.