I started out with the following design goals for the next generation of Kite Lights
for the controller:
- Thru-hole for proof of concept and version 1. Later move to Surface mount to reduce size and weight
- Form factor needs to be long and narrow to mount on the spine of the kite and minimize drag
- Use a Parallax propeller because it is so easy to do complex things and it is fast.
- Minimum of 3 axis accelerometer to allow for contextual effects based on speed, orientation and direction
- Optional Zigbee radio to allow for synchronized lighting effects and possibly other ground controlled effects
- Needs to run on batteries (seems obvious)
- Battery life should be no less than 1 hour and more than 2 hours is probably a waste of battery weight and size.
- Use readily available LiPo batteries.
- Needs and On-Off switch
- Need to be able to select and "Address" for the radios network
- Need to be able to select from multiple pre-programmed effects
For the Lights
- Need a lightweight RGB LED array that can be individually addressed
- need a way to attach the LEDs quickly and easily so they can be moved from one kite to another and removed when not needed