I just ordered a new batch of PCBs!
The most important change is probably making the FPC connector footprint bigger (mostly longer - obviously the pin spacing stayed the same) so hopefully it'll be easier to hand-solder.
The new revision has the 2 shift registers I keep using anyway built in, and all the extra pins that you might not really need to control are set up so they can be easily connected to VCC or GND with jumpers. So now there are only 8 external pins, instead of like 30.
Finally, this time I put all the resistor and cap values right on the board so I won't have to keep looking them up while soldering.