Some interesting things happened between over the last month:
- I updated my Raspberry Pi 2B to Raspbian Jessie. FYI, I used the method described here: https://www.raspberrypi.org/forums/viewtopic.php?f=66&t=121880 and it worked straight away. Though, if you intend to do it that way, be aware that it took almost 3 hrs to update everything (I removed the wolfram engine prior to the update to speed things up). If you want to know more about Raspbian Jessie, you can read this: https://www.raspberrypi.org/blog/raspbian-jessie-is-here/.
The desktop doesn't really change, but the benefit is that you get up to date software. It's really good to work with an (almost) up to date g++ compiler!
However, when I tried RaspiDrums, I had no sound over the USB sound card...
It wasn't too hard to fix though. I just followed the method described here: http://superuser.com/questions/989385/alsa-base-conf-missing-in-new-raspberry-pi-raspbian-jesse.
So finally, it works very well, and I'm quite happy with the update.
- I didn't spend so much time coding, but I though a lot about possible improvements.
A good one is that I figured a way to avoid real-time sound processing. Instead, the sounds will be processed as the drum kit is being loaded. It will use more RAM, but less CPU, and it will probably be easier to implement.
- Another good news is that I ordered all the components to build the final board. The design is pretty clear in my head, so I'm going to start asap.
The board will feature a MCP3008, which means 8 analog inputs, instead of 4 right now (MCP3204). Since the hi-hat needs two sensors (pedal + cymbal), I intend to build the following drum set:
- Snare drum
- Bass drum
- Hi-had (pedal + cymbal)
- Floor tom
- Crash cymbal
- Ride cymbal
- Unfortunately, I'm going to have to travel or work, probably for a couple of weeks. So that's going to help to get things done quickly...
But when I come back, the plan will be the following:
- Deal with the SoundProcessor.
- Publish a new video to show you how it performs.
- Publish the new project.
- Build the board.
- Improve the software.
- Start to build the kit.
Not sure how I'm going to build the kit yet, but I have some time to think about it before I start. Suggestions are more than welcome. The main goal is to make it cheap, easy to build, and stable. I will use muffle heads for the drums, as I already have them, but everything else is to be determined.
That's it for now!
Happy new year to all of you.