I finished the mechanical system this morning, so the firmware is what needs to get done now. From the integration testing, the axes were moving too fast. The azimuth axis was missing steps because the accelleration was too high for the motor torque.The motion system generates a trapezoidal velocity profile (sort of) to make moves smoother and require less motor current. The full speed was 10x the initial velocity, so I slowed the top speed of the move down by a factor of 4 and the move velocity is good now. The beginning of the ramp velocity was not changed.
I added code for the automatic axis homing on power up. It can be enabled by axis with ifdefs, because the homing can be a pain to deal with while working on the mechanics.