So I have been focused recently on just writing the necessary code to get the base system up and running. Every now and then I run into a future feature that will at some point become critical. This post is about one of those ideas.
How does a user select a WIFI network? What is the interface going to look like?
- Simple and quick connection to network
- Standard Protocol / don't need to maintain.
- Little to no extra software.
- Router must be available to user.
- Some known security flaws.
- Might take some work to get this feature up and running with the ESP8266.
- Host a mini webpage
- Have the ESP8266 host a network and webpage. Connect from phone or computer and enter the credentials of network you would like to connect to.
- Don't need physical access to router.
- Customization for the webpage.
- Valid documentation on how to do this already out there.
- Maybe too many steps to set device up.
- Possible security issues?(Need to do more research)
- Software Intensive.
- Select WIFI network on your phone and tap it to the knob.
- No fussing around with a web interface probably.
- Hardware Intensive. This will add an extra probably unnecessary feature
From my solutions list I am probably going to host a mini webpage at first. This is probably my best bet since I won't have to pull any unknown features out of the ESP8266 module and it doesn't add any extra hardware.
If anyone has better or different ideas I would love to hear them.