With this project, I'm aiming to make a two-wheeled self-balancing robot. An interesting constraint I'm putting on myself is that in the final form, the bot will use an Adafruit Trinket for its brain. The Trinket is built around an ATTiny 85, which has five I/O pins. Two of these pins are used to communicate to the accelerometer over I2C, which leaves me three pins, only one of which has PWM, to control two motors. We'll see how this goes.
After the parts first arrived, namely the H-Bridge, Accelerometer, and motors, I tested them all individually to ensure that they worked as expected with an Arduino Uno. Afterwards, I wrote a script to incorporate all the components into one mini-project: A tilt-controlled motor. The speed and direction of the motor depends on the tilt of the accelerometer. It was just a small test to make sure everything could talk to each other.
After that, I 3D-printed wheels for the robot. The size of the holes fits snugly onto the motor shaft, though I might eventually put a dab of Krazy Glue on the ends to keep it secure. We'll see if they have enough traction; I might need to add rubber bands.
Here's a picture of the wheel, after a few iterations: