Close

Matrix 2

A project log for Alpen Clack

A keyboard mod.

deʃhipudeʃhipu 11/01/2015 at 18:590 Comments

This was the most laborious step of the work. I had to solder all the keys, defined the pins for the rows and columns, and defined the key map. I started with soldering the columns:

Since I need the matrix to be as close to rectangle, as possible, to save pins, I merged pairs of columns. This way I have 8 columns with 11 rows each (except for one, that only has 10 rows).

Next, I made a hole in the plate for the USB socket, and attached the microcontroller board with two-sided tape:

You can also see the beginnings of rows with the diodes. Then came all the remaining connections:

Now, time for the firmware.

I copied the "onekey" example from the tmk_keyboard repository, and changed the names in the makefile and settings in config.h:

/* key matrix size */
#define MATRIX_ROWS 11
#define MATRIX_COLS 8

/* define if matrix has ghost */
//#define MATRIX_HAS_GHOST

/* Set 0 if debouncing isn't needed */
#define DEBOUNCE    5

/* key combination for command */
#define IS_COMMAND() ( \
    keyboard_report->mods == (MOD_BIT(KC_LSHIFT) | MOD_BIT(KC_RSHIFT)) \
)

/*
 * Feature disable options
 *  These options are also useful to firmware size reduction.
 */

/* disable debug print */
#define NO_DEBUG

/* disable print */
#define NO_PRINT

/* disable action features */
//#define NO_ACTION_LAYER
//#define NO_ACTION_TAPPING
#define NO_ACTION_ONESHOT
#define NO_ACTION_MACRO
#define NO_ACTION_FUNCTION

Then I modified the matrix.c file to support a little larger keyboard:

/* Column pin configuration
 * col: 8
 * pin: F4 F5 F6 F7 B1 B3 B2 B6
 */
static void  init_cols(void) {
    // Input with pull-up(DDR:0, PORT:1)
    DDRB  &= ~0b01001110;
    PORTB |=  0b01001110;

    DDRF  &= ~0b11110000;
    PORTF |=  0b11110000;
}

static matrix_row_t read_cols(void) {
    return (PINF&(1<<4) ? 0:(1<<0)) |
           (PINF&(1<<5) ? 0:(1<<1)) |
           (PINF&(1<<6) ? 0:(1<<2)) |
           (PINF&(1<<7) ? 0:(1<<3)) |
           (PINB&(1<<1) ? 0:(1<<4)) |
           (PINB&(1<<3) ? 0:(1<<5)) |
           (PINB&(1<<2) ? 0:(1<<6)) |
           (PINB&(1<<6) ? 0:(1<<7));
}

/* Row pin configuration
 * row: 11
 * pin: D3 D2 D1 D0 D4 C6 D7 E6 B4 B5 B0
 */
static void unselect_rows(void) {
    // Hi-Z(DDR:0, PORT:0) to unselect
    DDRD  &= ~0b10011111;
    PORTD &= ~0b10011111;

    DDRC  &= ~0b01000000;
    PORTC &= ~0b01000000;

    DDRE  &= ~0b01000000;
    PORTE &= ~0b01000000;

    DDRB  &= ~0b00110001;
    PORTB &= ~0b00110001;
}

static void select_row(uint8_t row) {
    // Output low(DDR:1, PORT:0) to select
    switch (row) {
        case 0:
            DDRD  |= (1<<3);
            PORTD &= ~(1<<3);
            break;
        case 1:
            DDRD  |= (1<<2);
            PORTD &= ~(1<<2);
            break;
        case 2:
            DDRD  |= (1<<1);
            PORTD &= ~(1<<1);
            break;
        case 3:
            DDRD  |= (1<<0);
            PORTD &= ~(1<<0);
            break;
        case 4:
            DDRD  |= (1<<4);
            PORTD &= ~(1<<4);
            break;
        case 5:
            DDRC  |= (1<<6);
            PORTC &= ~(1<<6);
            break;
        case 6:
            DDRD  |= (1<<7);
            PORTD &= ~(1<<7);
            break;
        case 7:
            DDRE  |= (1<<6);
            PORTE &= ~(1<<6);
            break;
        case 8:
            DDRB  |= (1<<4);
            PORTB &= ~(1<<4);
            break;
        case 9:
            DDRB  |= (1<<5);
            PORTB &= ~(1<<5);
            break;
        case 10:
            DDRB  |= (1<<0);
            PORTB &= ~(1<<0);
            break;
    }
}
Finally, with some mistakes and experimenting, I defined the key map in keymap.c:
static const uint8_t PROGMEM keymaps[][MATRIX_ROWS][MATRIX_COLS] = {
    {
        {KC_PGUP, KC_PSCR, KC_F10,  KC_F8,   KC_SPC, KC_NO,  KC_F2,   KC_1   },
        {KC_PGDN, KC_F12,  KC_MINS, KC_9,    KC_F6,  KC_F4,  KC_3,    KC_Q   },
        {KC_HOME, KC_BSPC, KC_LBRC, KC_O,    KC_7,   KC_5,   KC_E,    KC_A   },
        {KC_RGHT, KC_SLCK, KC_QUOT, KC_L,    KC_U,   KC_T,   KC_D,    KC_Z   },
        {KC_DEL,  KC_NO,   KC_RSFT, KC_DOT,  KC_J,   KC_G,   KC_C,    KC_LGUI},
        {KC_END,  KC_BSLS, KC_RGUI, KC_RALT, KC_M,   KC_B,   KC_LALT, KC_LCTL},
        {KC_UP,   KC_RCTL, KC_SLSH, KC_COMM, KC_N,   KC_V,   KC_X,    KC_LSFT},
        {KC_DOWN, KC_ENT,  KC_SCLN, KC_K,    KC_H,   KC_F,   KC_S,    KC_CAPS},
        {KC_LEFT, KC_RBRC, KC_P,    KC_I,    KC_Y,   KC_R,   KC_W,    KC_TAB },
        {KC_BRK,  KC_EQL,  KC_0,    KC_8,    KC_6,   KC_4,   KC_2,    KC_GRV },
        {KC_INS,  KC_F11,  KC_F9,   KC_F7,   KC_F5,  KC_F3,  KC_F1,   KC_ESC },
    },
};
Nothing fancy for now, just regular keyboard. Since the columns are doubled, the layout definition doesn't look very readable, but it works.

Next, I will experiment with some action keys and add secondary functions to some of the keys, so that I have media keys and whatnot.

Also, I still need to make the case for this keyboard. I will get some cardboard tomorrow and start prototyping.

Discussions