An easy to use BLE module for the Raspberry Pi based on the nRF51x chipset
This isn't really an update on the project just a new image. I have wanted to be able to render KiCad files in Blender for a while but have never gotten around to it. I spent some time today to figure it out and this is the output. This is done using the cycles render engine. Hopefully I can make a more techy environment than just the gray metal.
I mentioned early on in this project that due to my locational status I was not really able to build things. To this effect I was hoping someone else would want to work with me on building and prototyping. Well someone found me who was very interested in building and guess what?? We already have some board! So lets take a look.
Check out the log on my blog OpenFet BLEezy
This board is all about the hardware but I want to sort out the software as well so its very easy to use. The first step was to get OpenOCD on the PI in a way that doesnt confuse people who are new to the Pi. So I created a simple OpenOCD installer script. The script will install all dependencies, clone openocd, build & install, and test the installation. The script is on github (oh yeah i moved the git)!
I dont have a Pi at the moment so if someone could please test this for me that would be great! it wont damage anything you currently have setup on your Pi.
Also this works on most Linux Distros and machines so it might be handy for your computer as well.
When I make something I generally go into it to learn something. Another thing I want to learn out of this project is how to make the toolchain simple. After some advice and poking around I have found a solution for programming the BLEezy. It will use mbed, OpenOCD and the Raspberry Pi. I have already written the installer scripts now I am working on the programming scripts.
(write project on mbed.com) -> (Download hex) -> (run python script to install hex on BLEezy) -> Done!
A valid point was raised that it would be better to have the battery on top for production. When I created this design I wasn't really thinking about production at all but it is good practice. And in the off chance that this product does go into production we wont need to make that change later and re verify the design.
Slowcoder has also joined the team. He will be taking a look at the routing and see what improvements can be done.
The git repo is now up with the up-to-date board design. The nRF components are verified. So if you would like to use the nRF chip in your project you can clone this repo and pull the part out.
The routing for the BLEezy module is now finished. All the components are placed and the additional header was removed. I am now working on double checking the programming interface and software with the design.