Total Body Photography (TBP) is the term used to describe the taking of photographs of the entire body so as to have a complete record of all lesions (spots) on the body. This allows for easy analysis, documentation and monitoring of all your skin and for easy future comparisons. Companies all over the world offer TBP for concerned individuals, usually for a hefty fee. In our opinion, TBP should be available to everyone everywhere so we decided to develop a low cost open source TBP system.
TBP is an important tool in helping track skin changes that could indicate skin cancer. Future examinations of the skin are compared to the TBP images, allowing a reliable method of tracking changes. Studies have shown that TBP is quite effective in the early detection of melanoma and other skin cancers which means that TBP can and does save lives!
- digital camera (any camera would do, be it compact, system or DSLR)
- frame for motorized translation of the camera in the vertical direction [Done, see motorized frame]
- motorized rotating pedestal (to rotate the person being photographed)
- Stepper motors controlling software (Arduino code). Upload to your Arduino system, run and control through usb (virtual COM port).
- Camera manipulation software (PC running software that will trigger a camera shutter and transfer images taken from the camera to the hard disk.
- Image manipulation software (PC running software that will stich many images into one huge image of the whole body. [Help needed])
Contributors needed. Join the effort, help the community. Email me at natanos (at) gmail.com on how to join. Check the wikipage of the project at Total Body SkinMonitor.
Enjoy this project?