It is quite tedious to wire and solder 48 segments ! I don't have proper connectors, then I soldered the wires directly between the proto boards. I started to make them following a nice path... But it's ended with a - hum - a nice mess of wires :D
Anyway, it's working great ! I put the digit alternatively upside down in order to groupe the hour-minute-second numbers. I though in this way it makes the double-dot between each numbers, but it's not exactly what we are use to see. I have to think a bit more about that.
For the moment it just displays the time with the dots flipping each .5 second. I now have to think about nice digit transitions/animation. As well as study deeply the PIC datasheet in order to put as much as possible parts of the micro in sleep mode to reduce consumption.
I should not forget to make a frame in order to pass successfully the girlfriend acceptance test...