About time I put up a first post (or log, same thing). Unfortunately there's been a string of public holidays in South Africa and between those and work, I haven't had the chance to go and get the sheets of foam that form the base material for building the wing.
The current photo is an earlier wing I built, based off the FPV49 design. It uses a KFm-2 aerofoil which makes for really easy construction, and had been scaled down to around 1m instead of the original 1.25m. The planned design for the wing for this project will have a longer wingspan, be less swept back, and have a higher aspect ratio - essentially trying to make it more efficient at the expense of control and stability.
Not that this should be a problem for APM:Plane that will be doing most of the flying work. Over the next few days, I'll be playing around with the autopilot system, hopefully getting everything up and running. One of the downsides about living in South Africa is the extremely long shipping times, so instead of buying a ready made APM board, I got myself an Arduino Mega 2560 clone, and a 10-DOF sensor board.
Photo unrelated, it's a shot I took from up on Table Mountain.