Together with the volunteers we already started working on the next version of the prototype. I started to slowly lay out the components for it:
Several things are happening there:
- switched to a SAMD51 microcontroller, in place of the smaller SAMD21 — that gives us more memory, better speed and more pins,
- moved the electronics under the display, to make more room on the sides,
- switched to non-clicky buttons, same as I used in #µGame,
- got rid of the snake heads at the top, to make more room,
- added a pin header for connecting extra stuff to GPIO pins,
- considering using a different USB port, though I don't have a footprint for it yet,
- considering using IR communication in place of the NRF24, but that requires some experiments,
- considering moving the batteries from the back to the front, to make the whole thing more flat.
This is all just playing for now, to see how it fits together. We will probably still make a lot of changes.