The project started on april 2016 in Lyon, France.
Step 1 : Embedded Arduino grove sensor
In order to understand the sensor capacity on citizen understanding, a first device has been made with arduino Grove. Using a shield and 3 sensors (temperature, indoor air quality and outdoor quality), the workshop aimed at understanding the factor of data appropriation by children and public.
The data were written on a paper map and graphs to get tangible vizualisation.
Step 2 : Embedded Arduino uno sensor
The second step consists in making a lowcost and smaller arduino sensor, coupled with a smartphone application wich can map the data in mouvement (température, NO2, PM10). The device would be make with residents of popular disctrict in the suburb of Lyon.
This sensor takes inspiration in the existing open sour ceair quality sensor, and especially thanks to a partnersjip with 2 main other citizen projects :
- Smart citizen project (Spain)
- Citizen Watt projet (France)
Perspective : small, embedded, lowtech and fun sensor
When the sensor and data acquisition will be ready, an application will be coded with resident to create a game. The perspective of improvement will be these one :
- Create easy guidelines to make and replicate the sensors at a citizen scale
- Create a way to couple air quality data and urban design (suggest solutions to improve air quality by urban facilities such as parks, transportation, specific materials etc.)
- Create a participatory science program on air quality in poor districts