I originally wrote this system about 14 years ago while working for the cable company. I had a software development position at the time and wrote the system completely in VB6 and ASP. Since that time i have rewritten the entire system in PHP using HTML 5 and CSS.
The old system had a few great features that i have not yet ported over to PHP
- Music Index (indexes all music files and finds duplicates. Allows music to be played thoughout the house.
- Picture viewer (screensaver and picture index that allows family photos to be cataloged, tagged and indexed
- Recipe index (search by ingredients, etc)
- Shopping list creator (works with kitchen mounted bar-code scanner). Allows you to select a store which causes the list to reorder as per the aisle in the stores. it does this using an online bar-code database that has product categories. I then created a database of the nearby stores and mapped each product category to an aisle in the store.
- Security system arm/disarm. I bought a TCP-IP bridge for my DSC alarm system, have to reimplement.
- Contacts listing. Lists off all friends and family with pictures/address/phone number etc. Clicking on the number caused all phones in the house to ring. (this was possible using an Asterix server that i built.