Our Kickstarter has been incredibly successful, and now that we're sold out, I've got this long, long spreadsheet with about thirty items on it that need finishing. Fortunately, on the hardware side of things, we're about 90% there.
I spent nearly three days not writing software and revising the PCB. I believe that I've fixed the chip mounting issue, repaired the faulty power switch issue, and rerouted audio and grounds enough to eliminate the popping issue on RF transmit. Hopefully.
The KW01 is a ridiculous chip. It has non-matching solder and paste layers, via requirements, ground requirements, and all of that is down to four decimal places in mm. Our translation of that data from NXP's Altrium files to KiCad was a disaster, causing bad foot placement and a number of failed connections in production. So, we have to do one more spin. That takes us from 3/23 to April or May, which is not where I want to be production-wise.
We'll probably engage Macrofab to do most of the programming and assembly work, if we can get parts to them on time and such. At least then if our boards are DOA they can help with rework.
It is frustrating and unfortunate that I have to do a 3rd prototype this late in the schedule, but it is necessary to ensure a proper final product. At least we will be able to expedite this through Macrofab and possibly get a board back in a couple weeks.
More updates as I get them.