In order to share circuit patterns, this really needs a method of superimposing a circuit diagram over a knitting chart. I'm thinking Fritzing would be a good way to go. I've never designed a part for Fritzing before, but I've got a pretty good sense of how the part would need to work:
- Users should be able to define the stitch height and width (like defining the size of your breadboard)
- There should be a default stitch pattern grid, that allows you to easily erase/create stitches as you create your board.
- You can place components on the chart, and they will "click" into place.
That's the basics. What would make it completely awesome:
- You could define the size of the stitches, to create an "actual size" diagram that will allow you to see how the components will fit into the space.
- You could export the knitted pattern only:
-- as a graph (for hand knitters)
-- as a b/w bitmap with 1 pixel = 1 stitch, to make it easy to upload to a hacked knitting machine