I began this project on Sunday, and Thursday night into Friday at 2am I put in a board order. If everything works out perfectly I should have PCBs and parts in hand on July 3rd and can do assembly and testing of the first board on my July 4th day off.
Routing actually went pretty well. I knew that LED control wasn't particularly fussy about IO pins. I did make sure that all of the charlieplexing pins are on the same port. Speaking of that, for aesthetic purposes it became clear that I didn't have room for 8 engine LEDs to I reduced it to 6 and now need only 3 pins to address those.
So with global labels on the schematic it was pretty simple to swap pins around as needed to reduce the number of signal crossings needed. The top if the board is minimalistic and when I exported the gerbers I didn't export the text layers. The front of the badge features a ship al-a @Andrew Sowa who wrote the book on art in KiCad.
I didn't want to do through-hole 3x2 header for the AVR ISP because it would show up on the front and there's no aesthetic reason for that. I chose to route a 1x6 SIL header on the back to one side of the badge. I'll make a pogo-pin adapter to program badges on this header.
Keep your fingers crossed that the international shipping gods smile upon me. I'd really love to get these populated this week!