I usually try to shy away from using parts to make their own cutouts in OpenSCAD. However after 2 hours of trying to find the right math to duplicate the motion, once I found it, I used it.
The red area is the lever arm part which joins the two ratchets, cutting away at the base plate.
I toyed with using a living hinge to join the two ratchets for a long time, but they can only pull reliably, not push.. and pulling put it crossing the tape path right at the entry point. I scrapped it.
Also finished the mounting posts for the part cover and cleaned up/added some comments to the code. I think I'm finally ready to print again!