I've been working on the revision 2 PCB and it is now fully routed, and will be done once I fix a few issues and do the silkscreen graphics.
Also planning to use a PCB for the front panel, with some through-board LEDs to indicate channel status, SD card access, etc. I still have a few more things to sort out with that, but expect at least a screenshot soon. As stated before, EAGLE board files will be available for both once I've tested the new design.
In the meantime I also did some more testing with using the ESP to generate clocks for the sound chips, and everything works fine. So, officially (I think!), say goodbye to the expensive and hard-to-solder LTCs!
While I'm talking about things being hard to solder, I want to note that a major design consideration with this project was making it relatively easy to assemble with simple soldering tools. A lot of space could be saved by using finer pitch IC packages, smaller passives, etc, but I stuck with SOs and 0805s because they're pretty doable on a simple pencil iron. I want this project to be accessible to as many people as possible, which would normally necessitate DIP packages for everything, but then it wouldn't fit in your hand, so I think this is a good compromise.
Anyway, that's all for now. I plan to order a first batch of PCBs at the end of this week, and I'm excited to test them out when they arrive.