Finally I got the first build using the new custom PCB put together and running. I was able to use a handheld router to cut the grooves for the LED rings, and the pocket for the PCB. I did a light stain on it, with a clear coat to protect the finish. I used two small #2 x 3.8" wood screws to secure the PCB to the clock. The power cable is not secured, but I routed a S curve on the back to guide it, it is not quite deep enough and the power cable is mounted a bit high so i think I will find some thing to clamp the cable down.
I've had it running for a few days now, the time seems to be keeping well. It does remember the time when unplugged so i think the RTC/battery is working well. The HRS and MIN adjustments work fine. The next one I build i will include a connector on the LED wires. The overall clock looks much better and is easier to build than the first that used Arduino PCBs and breakout PCBs.