Thats nice and all, but you know.. twitter changed its APIs significantly in august and with those changes came new conditions.
If you want to develop something with twitter you need to sign up for a developer account.
Fair enough right? Its easy peasy, no worries.
Just fill out the three pages of information regarding you, your project, and its purpose, where, how and by whom it will be used in which country and the project description must be at least 300 characters.
You consider this ironic given the limit of the message size on tweets? I sure did.
Twitter will get back to you via email some days later letting you know that you will need to provide further information.
Once you sent an in-detail description of your project they will contact you.
Oh they didn't? Too bad, you will have to ask for permission to use the precious APIs again, i guess.
After over a week of waiting twitter finally sent me their oAuth API credentials and i implemented the twitter import in an hour.
But this procedure gave me goosebumps. Especially that they referred to "their content from twitter" that i would use in my product.
I will have to implement mastodon as well i guess.
I had some leftover usb connectors form another project that i soldered into POWER cables.
Each 16x32 panel has its own usb attached power supply and the GROUND rail was connected on all boards.
I also have a dedicated batterypack for the Raspberry Pi.
So far so good.
The twitterscript is running for one hour so far, the leds are bright and the whole setup appears to be stable enough. The only thing that worries me a little is the Raspberry Pi that complained with an undervoltage warning earlier.
I might connect a second usb cable and merge those for the power supply.
The cabling went better that expected.
I used zip-ties and shrinkwrap on the cables, the picture looks much messier than the real life outcome :)
The Idea is to have a webinterface on the Raspberry Pi. The Pi is connected over wifi to your smartphone and has internetaccess trough Thetering.
Now users can send tweets to @blinkenschild and those are displayed in realtime on the webapp / Smartphone. If the carrierof the Blinkenschilds want to show the tweet, it just needs to be selected from the list and is given to a service on the Raspberry that displays it in scrolling text as shown above.
The webinterface is not even started yet, but we do have the command line tool ready to display the actual tweet.
We had to replace one broken panel, but all in all it worked out as planned. Also the Fixture for the aluminum rods was mounted upside down, so we had to move those.
hzellers software to drive those HUB75s from the raspberry pi is gorgeous!
We will have to send him cookies.
So far we got:
Youtube video support
Next we will add Twitter support and a nice Webinterface to interact with the sign. Also we need to get some USB Powerbanks to make that sign portable. And of course we need to make a cover to make that thing weatherproof and portable.
When I built the original BLINKENSCHILD some years ago I wanted to give a useful tool to protesters. Now some time passed and the reasons to protest are at an all time high.
When Max asked to borrow the original Blinkenschild, I decided the time was right to build a more up-to-date version with higher resolution, a lower price tag and modern technology so we can play back videos and do some interesting internet enabled stuff.