This is our first working prototype of BikeOn, back in 2014. At that time we envisioned BikeOn as a ring-shaped device that would contain embedded-in axial flux motor, controller and all the sensors, all built on a single PCB. We were designing a front-wheel mounted device, because we thought that it would be easier to mount BikeOn that way.
This is the video on which we are powering BikeOn for the first time:
This is the video when we are trying BikeOn on the road for the first time. It didn’t work very well at that time:
As you can see from the videos, at that time BikeOn didn’t have sensors embedded in, and it worked only with a throttle.
The Lesson We Learned:
Later we realized that using third party motor would speed up our development without much sacrifice on desired specs, qualities and our vision. We learned the hard way: if there is something out there you can use, make every effort and reasonable compromise to use it.