So I put the current build outside to see how long it would run for in the cold weather.
I did not do good. It sent me the first message but then six hours later (what I had set it to send the temperature at) there was silence.
I think it is a combination of the battery not being charged very much before and that the battery does not like the cold weather.
The next update will be switching gears a bit. I will be constructing a 40 foot usb cable to power the arduino off of (this will replace the solar panel and the battery), and then I will put it and the sensors into operation in an empty bin. This will be the first iteration of tests that will be done on a wired version.
The wired version is being further pursued at this point because it will be cheaper and will operate at the low temperatures better.
A bit off topic, but a contest where a friend and mine were going to present this project has been postponed till March or April.