I'm still in the process of waiting for the new boards to arrive. In the meantime, I decided to fix some of the BLE communication issues. When I originally wrote the BLE code I didn't know much about BLE, so it was time to fix it up. I ripped everything out of the smartwatch source code relating to BLE and did it all over again from the ground up. The new implementation can now perform both the BLE scan and connect functions from within a separate FreeRTOS thread allowing for the ESP32 to connect to the android device through a background process. The connection is also more reliable and easier to use since everything now happens from the sendBLE() function rather than calling one of 4 functions.
I also finally got around to cleaning up the code in the companion app and it's at a state now where I feel like it deserves to be its own project. As a result, I've split the repos up so that people who just want the android app can find and use it. The new repo is found here: https://github.com/Bellafaire/Android-Companion-App-For-BLE-Devices
The majority of the android app is now complete, if anything gets changed now it will likely be adding features rather than changing the core functionality of the app. I also supplied an example Arduino sketch which connects to the android app and reads the phone notifications to help people hit the ground running with the app.
See you in the next log!