The next experiment will place the wheel onto two freely rotating dowels. Hypothesis: the wheel will remain in place on those dowels while rotating, and while being pulled by the kite.
A simulation was conducted to double check the bodies rotate as expected. The smaller light-blue wheel below depicts a possible generator location.
This experiment will address a few unknowns:
- Spacing of the dowels to support wheel
- Angle of the line that would cause the wheel to ‘pop’ off the dowels
- Are the dowels able to freely rotate, or will they need ball bearings?
- Does it require a lot of force to spin?
- Are the indented grouser designs problematic?
The structural tile pieces are re-used from a different project (Bowie the robot).
The next step will be to 3D print the extra pieces, assemble, and test!