The white box with the LoRa Darkstar attached was opened up and was found to contain a large swarm of bees, as expected. The bees needed to be transferred into another box, the green one, so that they can be removed from the top of the tree back down to ground level, leaving the white box in the tree to catch or detect another swarm. Howver, it's not possible to do the whole operation in one stage as the bees need time to re-orientate. The proceedure is as follows:
- Put the green box in the original position of the white box with the door open.
- Transfer all the bees from the white box to the green one by moving the frames and shaking out any stragglers.
- Close the door on the white box and position on top of the green one.
- Gradually move the green box down the ladder - about 1 foot per day.
- Put some old frames back in the white box and open the door again.