Close

The Crochet part is done

A project log for Crochet Cthulhu Mask, Arduino controlled tentacles

A Crochet Cthulhu mask for my 4 year old's halloween costume with arduino controlled writhing tentacles.

GriffGriff 10/30/2014 at 21:340 Comments

Well, it has taken a lot longer than I expected, but I am very happy to say the crochet part of this project is finished. I am most excited because as much as I want to make the tentacles move etc, at least I have this much done and he has a pretty cool Halloween costume. Making the tentacles move on their own is just an added bonus if I can finish that in 2 days.

Before I add the picture, a quick reminder that this is a Cthulhu cushion that he got for Christmas because he loved playing with the display one at the local comic book store (Borderlands in Greenville, SC).

He was very specific to say it needed to look exactly like this, so that's why I made the eyes match as well as I could.. he still wanted to know why I didn't put black in the middle of the eyes and was only partially happy my answer that he wouldn't be able to see.

So now all I need to do is solder up the servos and electronics and attach them to the tentacles. My original idea of 4-6 servos attached at 2-4 arms each and turning the full 180 degrees to get a lot of movement of tentacles is probably too ambitious as I write this just 2 days before Halloween. I am thinking 3 servos attached to 1 or 2 tentacles each and just attached and fed through a few turns so they will make the tentacles move a little. (Just enough to make people pause and be slightly confused). This is the first animatronic costume I have made, and I am happy with a very minor success. By next year, I will be hopefully be able to do a lot more.

Discussions