Had an un-used vinyl cutter/plotter (Silhouette Portrait) lying around. It's small but is sufficient to make a small proof-of-concept prototype.
- Got scripted control of the plotter after some effort, via jnweiger's "inkscape-silhouette" Inkscape extension.
- Made a frame and mounted the plotter and other components. Hardware is basically done and now it's a software problem.
Prototype to-do list:
- Right now I can send an existing SVG file to the cutter. I need to be able to automatically generate the SVG file from a variety of sources (internet forms, data-streams, ...).
- Get better scroll material. This particular contact paper doesn't erase too well.
- For the next prototype I will build the plotter from scratch, so it can be arbitrarily large and lower-profile (hidden behind the back of the screen rather than in front.