- A ground plane is essential
- Flood-filled copper pours do not count as a ground plane
- STEbus boards are allowed up to 4 amps at 5V
- STEbus backplanes carry up to 20A (5 slot), 40A (10 slot) or 84A (21 slot)
- This requires many threaded terminals, 2 per slot.
- This requires adequately thick power cabling
- Short backplanes (e.g. 5 slot) can get away with terminations at just one end
- Larger backplanes (e.g. 10 slot) should be terminated at both ends.
- On double-height Eurocards, the STEbus connector must be the bottom connector.
This allows it to co-exist with double-height VME boards, which use the top connector: