I mounted the camera and the mirrors today.
It took about 10x longer than it should have and I found out that my $9 endoscope was that price for a reason.
I toiled for many hours trying to align the mirrors. The image was always off center no matter how I adjusted them. There is about 5 degrees of adjustment built into the mounts before you set the optics, and that just wasn't enough. I was starting to doubt my optics model...
Finally I removed the camera and just sighted down the bore without it. It looked perfect...
I put the camera in a V block and aligned it to some graph paper. It was permanently aimed down and to the left. The centerline of the video was about 10 degrees off from the centerline of the case.
So I opened up the endoscope, cut off the epoxy seating the sensor to the control board, and re-aligned it manually. A couple drops of UV cure adhesive stuck i in place. I reassembled it to check it was now straight, took it back apart adding a puddle of UV cure, and assembled it again.
The imaging sensor of the endoscope must not be properly centered on the lens as when the centerline of the image is aligned to the case, the angle of the sensor itself is pretty far off from where it should be. So I'm likely getting some parallaxing and variable focus for my video, but there isn't really anything I can do about that. It's still good enough to move on for now.
So here it is..
The world premiere video..
Of a mirror flipping..
The dust looks a lot worse than it normally does here from the steep angle of my lighting. It was hard to get both areas lit up relatively evenly.